Sunday, October 17, 2010

Unmerited Affirmation

(As told by Sean)


Last Sunday night I went out for an hour or so to practice my upcoming Punk n’ Pie performance (October 29, 2010; 7:00p; Be there) and before I left Carolyn told me that she would do the dishes and clean up the house. I come back and the house looks noticeably cleaner, we go to bed, and Carolyn’s work although noticed, went unthanked. Carolyn typically falls asleep before me because I like to stay up and watch an iTunes University podcast, read for school, or watch highlights of the most recent Giants game especially since they are in the playoffs! After I finish up on the computer, I generally lie awake thinking and praying for at least 20 min. On this particular night while I am lying awake the thought came to my head that in the morning I should thank Carolyn and affirm her for working hard and for especially doing the dishes. As I am thinking these thoughts Carolyn gets up to use the bathroom and get some water just like she does every night. So I figured this would be a great time to gently affirm Carolyn and thank her for doing what she did. She gets back in bed and I turn to her and say, “Carolyn, thank you for doing the dishes tonight, you work so hard and I really appreciate it.” My beautiful, half-awake wife mumbled back to me, “I didn’t do the dishes,” and then quickly rolls over and goes back to sleep thinking my wrath may come upon her for not doing the dishes. Feeling no emotion one way or the other concerning the matter I roll over and go to sleep. The next morning Carolyn being unsure of what happened because of her midnight drowsiness asks if I randomly thanked her for doing the dishes and if so why. I simply told her that I had neglected to check to see if the dishes were done and thought the best of the situation and of her. I told her not to worry about the dishes and that they would be done eventually. The dishes did get done, but Carolyn did not do them and neither did I do them. The cleaning lady that our landlord has come once a month to clean her house and our guest home did the dishes, which was certainly appreciated very much by the both of us. Thank you, Cleaning Lady, wherever you are.

No comments:

Post a Comment