Wednesday, May 4, 2011

This little piggy went to the market....

Giuwels and I have been handling the grocery shopping for the past couple of weeks while Nanny Irma (their housekeeper) is in Mexico on vacation. Today I let her push the cart through the store. I also let her fill up our cart with eight ears of corn on the cob. (She finds the process of shucking corn so delightful and desirable that her greatest act of love is telling Vinny that he can shuck some corn with us as well.) As we walked out of Albertson's, she sighed and said, "That was fun." I assumed she must be thinking of her play date earlier in the afternoon, which involved an enormous blow up pool and water slide. "You mean at Ella's?" I ask. "No. In the grocery store." It warms the deepest cockles of my heart to know that this little girl had so much fun on a mundane trip to the market. The realization dawned on me: how much potential there is for glory, beauty, and FUN in every moment of life! Thank God for children and their sparkling, uninhibited enthusiasm. As we walk to van to unload our groceries, she laughs and says, "It was fun when I asked you if we could get more kettle corn [what she calls corn on the cob] and you said no!"

Okay then!

2 comments:

  1. I think it also says a lot about YOUR sparkling enthusiasm, Carolyn. Kids reflect what they see - if I go into a grocery store grumpy and in a hurry, my children will all throw fits before we get out! But if we go in with a happy "coupon mission" they have a great time. I find that my children teach me a lot about having a good attitude simply by reflecting mine! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Emily! I never thought about it this way before, but now I can totally see that you're right! I will have to stay mindful of this as I go about my daily routine, because it definitely makes everyone happier!

    ReplyDelete