Friday, April 2, 2010

Writing from the East Coast!

Yesterday morning I arrived at Boston's Logan International Airport, and Megan came to pick me up. We took the subway, and then a commuter train back to Wenham, and now I am comfortably ensconced in a charming little apartment on the campus of Gordon University. I slept all day yesterday in my airy, sunny bedroom, which I have all to myself. Last night, we ate tortilla soup and watched Made of Honor, and even though I'd slept all day, I still managed to fall asleep around 2:00 a.m. and sleep for 10 more hours.

Megan woke me up at noon today, which is a good thing because who knows how long I might have slept? After a shower, and a bowl of cheerios, Megan took me on a tour of Gordon's campus. And while she enjoyed the delightfully warm weather (after a long Massachusetts winter), I couldn't believe how unrealistically cold it felt for April. The loveliest part of our day was going walking in the Gordon woods. It rained three days straight right before I got here, so different parts of the path were flooded and the woods were filled with all kinds of marsh and swamp looking areas. I spent the walk throwing various sticks and rocks into the different puddles and ponds about us, and exclaiming excitedly over the newly blooming clumps of sunny daffodils scattered along the path. There's nothing like a still-bare winter landscape to make flowers look even more beautiful.

Tonight Megan and I made a chicken pot pie, and watched 500 Days of Summer (a movie we've both been dying to see). Aside from the inevitable strangeness of a movie that teaches belief in true love by telling an ill-fated love story, I liked it. What I liked even more was opening the Blockbuster case to take out the movie, and seeing that Sean had written a special love-note for me on the Blockbuster receipt which I'd mindlessly folded up and shoved in the case.

Right now Sean is about 35,000 feet in the air, somewhere over the Pacific Ocean, in a jet that should soon be nearing the Hawaiian Islands...and I miss him.

Tomorrow, Megan and I are going on an adventure...but not just any adventure--the best kind of adventure--a literary adventure to Orchard House, home of the Alcotts! We also hope to visit Sleepy Hollow Cemetery (burial site of Emerson) and Lexington/Concord...where the first shots of the Revolutionary War were fired. We shall see how successful we are because we do not have a car, and we are relying on public transit and our own four legs for transportation!

No comments:

Post a Comment